confiscation of MV's

From: M35products@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 18:47:24 PDT

n a message dated 9/23/01 9:19:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rojoha@mediaone.net writes:

<< I'm not sure what makes my M35A2 a "Significant" item, but I know I
 can't sell it without notifying a whole passel of people and can only sell
 to US citizens. It's just a truck, not armor or artillery. But it is "LAW",
 good, bad or indifferent.

Question: Am I missing something here? I bought my first M35 from a known
dealer in the NE USA. He gave me a title form that I turned in to the DMV. I
now have a registered vehicle, that I can sell, give away, or destroy. Or am
I wrong? At no time during the negotiation, purchase, titling, insuring or
registration procedures was I made aware of any restrictions or mandatory
notifications.

I have bought and sold, casually, a number of these vehicles in the past few
years. I never warned anyone about their future obligations to notify anyone
should they decide to re-sell the trucks.

Observation: Are we to believe that every military vehicle now in the hands
of daily drivers, collectors (a non-specific term, with no legal stature),
farmers, construction companies, highway depts, fire depts, towing companies,
mining companies, etc, etc, will have to be given back?

 Are you telling me that everyone from Memphis Equipment down to tiny
companies like mine, are going to have to find something else to do? Are
military vehicle magazines, Power Wagon Advertiser, etc, going to fold?

 Who is keeping track of these trucks? With what we have read on this list
and other places, it is possible to register these trucks as anything from
pickups to campers, and everything in between. Are our government agencies
suddenly going to get real efficient at finding us? Will there be
roadblocks, or will the gov't depend upon our neighbors to do the right
thing, and turn us in for a reward?

Where are these vehicles to be sent for storage, and ultimate destruction?
Will they just sit around, until such time that some genious in the gov't
decides that they could sell them to civilians, and make some needed cash?

There are several guys who chop M35's to make big pickups, swamp buggies,
etc. What will happen to those trucks, assuming that they are still
registered under their original VIN's?

This is too bizarre even to contemplate. Anyone have any ideas? a p bloom