Senate Bill 1416 and vehicle owners

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 20:37:39 PDT

Fellow MV buffs...
I just had a chance to reread the Senate Bill 1416 carefully, and see now a
MAJOR problem I had overlooked before....as I pointed out earlier, most of
the 6x6 trucks are munitions list items, and are so defined and regulated in
the IFB.

Bill S1416
SEC. 1062. AUTHORITY TO ENSURE DEMILITARIZATION OF SIGNIFICANT MILITARY
EQUIPMENT FORMERLY OWNED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE.

(a) PROHIBITION- It is unlawful for any person to possess significant
military equipment formerly owned by the Department of Defense unless--

AND CONTINUES....

(f) DEFINITION OF SIGNIFICANT MILITARY EQUIPMENT- In this section, the term
significant military equipment' means equipment that has a capability
described in clause (i) or (ii) of subsection (e)(2) and--
(1) is a defense article listed on the United States Munitions List

THE SUBSECTION REFERED TO ABOVE IS:

(2) The regulations shall be designed to ensure that--

(A) the equipment, after demilitarization, does not constitute a significant
risk to public safety and does not have--
(i) a significant capability for use as a weapon; or
(ii) a uniquely military capability; and

IT IS A SAFE BET THE HUMVEES, GAMA GOATS AND 151'S WILL BE BUSTED BY 2A, AND
ELSEWHERE YOU WILL FIND THAT THE ABILITY TO INSTALL A RING MOUNT ON A 6X6
PUTS THEM IN 2A(i). I suppose (but can't document) that a Sherman or Duster
is caught be 2A(ii).

HAVE YOU WRITTEN YOUR CONGRESSMEN LATELY?

DD