ICE/Failure analysis 101

From: m18.hellcat (m18.hellcat@netzero.net)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 19:22:10 PDT

 However, the problem
> with engines is not the revolutions (as I am sure our fellow lister who
> builds racing engines will likely confirm)

------- yup, but bearing speed also gets factored heavily with max rpm

, the problem is the stresses
> within the engine....when the piston reaches TDC (the sudden stop, and the
> piston does completely stop twice each revolution, tries to pull rod into,
> top off piston, etc) there are tremendous tensile stresses placed on the
rod,
> and at BDC you will have large compression forces on the rod. Both of
these
> also try to bend the crank. Failures will tend to originate at ANY
> imperfection on these components.

-------- correct however a diesel is by nature designed to a higher
cyclic/compressive shock load

This is why various moving components of
> high horsepower engines are polished and plated, to remove these
> imperfections where stress cracks begin.

------- also correct but we've turned the corner on some of this thinking
and you'd be surprised at the journal finishing we use in the 10,000 rpm
stuff

> Even if you do not increase the RPM of an engine, if you increase the
> horsepower you inherently are increasing the stresses inside an engine.
> The rods and crankshaft of an LDT are designed for a maximum of 205 brake
> horsepower (this is only because these components are shared with the
> LDS-465-2), REGARDLESS of how that horsepower is gotten. Beyond that you
are
> second guessing numerous professional engineers whose livelihood depended
on
> their success.

---------- probably the best advice altogether, but again I can take FACTORY
V8's and using "most" of the major components increase power 2-3 times and
maintain excellent service life. Its the nature of the us "performance"
types to "tinker"

> The governor on a multifuel engine doesn't directly control the speed, it
> controls the fuel flow based on speed. The higher the RPM the engine is
> turning, the more fuel it will allow to be supplied. When you defeat the
> governor, it seems you would defeat the natural tendency of the engine to
> protect itself by choking to death. Rather, it will continue fueling in
an
> effort to keep its RPM up, this will allow more fuel into the cylinders,
and
> if it can be burned efficiently, results in more horsepower. Horsepower
can
> be expressed as heat (2545 BTU/Hr as I recall). So, the more fuel, the
more
> heat, the more horsepower, and the MORE STRESS on those rods and
crankshaft,
> regardless of RPM.
>
> So, to make a long story short, if you don't plan on polishing and plating
> any of your LDT parts, but you do plan on "souping up" your engine, go now
> and buy a spare to drop in its place, you'll be needing it.

-------------good advice David, but if I ever get the time to inspect an LDT
turbo and see if my friend @ Garrett can come up with a variable timing
waste gate ...hmmm

------Scott

NetZero Platinum
Only $9.95 per month!
Sign up in September to win one of 30 Hawaiian Vacations for 2!