Re: [MV] just a technicality...

From: islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 21:32:31 PDT

Hi Timothy,

>Did I fail to mention that the Department of Defense wasn't created until
>1949? I guess that lets some of us WWII collectors off the hook

I don't think so. The list of Significant Military Equipment doesn't
distingush items by age, only function. So there is no protection from
it due to age. In all likelihood the DoD inhereted "ownership" of all
equipment, facilities, etc. "owned" by the various armed services before
its creation.

If a company buys out another one the ownership of the bought out company
doesn't magically vaporize. Instead, everything good and bad is passed
on to the company that bought it. Automatically. I strongly suspect
that this is absolutely the case with all military equipment in this
regards. I mean... otherwise the DoD would have had to PURCHASE all
existing equipment, bases, government contracts, etc. one by one before
it could legally do anything with it (like, say, fight a war <g>) until
it did so.

Hey, I would love to find a nice loophole like this since most vehicles I
own are pre 1945, but I also don't like to bet on long shots :-)

Steve