Re: [MV] some ammuntion

From: islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 22:44:43 PDT

Hi Timothy,

I've responded to this before, but my posts to this list aren't always
showing up.

>And unless I've been mis-informed, section 921 only authorizes
>demilitarization of significant military equipment formerly OWNED BY THE
>DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE!

The equipment was formerly owned by the US Army, which is now a part of
the Department of Defense, which means that in effect it owns everything
they owned. At least that is the way it works in the private sector, and
I don't see any other possible way of it working in this case.

But... let's assume for a sec that you are in fact correct. Do not
forget that most WWII surplus was sold off AFTER 1947. So you might have
a 1944 Dodge 1/4 Ton Ambulance, but if it was sold from government stock
after 1947 you are SOL because it was the DoD that sold it off for
surplus. The year of manufacturing is totally irrelevant.

Sorry, I don't like bursting bubbles, especially since most of my
vehicles are pre 1947 :-/

Steve