Re: [MV] Fw: Senate Bill 1438

From: Claude W. Vaughn (vaughn@totalaccess.net)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 07:20:41 PDT

KBDewey 42GPW wrote:

> Sending e-mails does not work. Mass e-mails get mass deleted. We must
> send well thought out letters, short, full of facts. No hysterics or
> threats.
>
> I would like to know where to go to find out my reps address, anyone? K

KB,

I recommend that when you contact your Representative that you refer to the
"National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2002." This will be more
clear than referring to the Bill(s) by number.

However, in case they ask, here are the bill numbers and what you may wish to
say (I copied this from letters I sent to my Senators and my Representative):

<snip>
I oppose the wording in Section 1062 of Senate Bill 1438. This section also
appears in Senate Bills 1419 and 1416. Section 1062 also appears in S.1155
as Section 921. I recommend Section 1062 be removed from S.1438. It should
be removed from all other versions of the Bills.

This text, the "AUTHORITY TO ENSURE DEMILITARIZATION OF SIGNIFICANT MILITARY
EQUIPMENT FORMERLY OWNED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE" appears in the
following Bills:

S.1438 -- National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2002
[S.1438.PCS],
S.1419 -- Department of Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2002
[S.1419.PCS],
S.1416 -- National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2002
[S.1416.PCS], and
H.R. 2586 -- National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2002
[H.R.2586.RH]

The text of this Section is the same as that removed from last year's Floyd
D. Spence National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2001
[H.R.4205.RH].
<end of snip> etc.

I have included a couple of ways to contact your Senators and your
Representatives below.

First from a post to the list by Floyd Petri:

<snip>