M151A2 Distributor Problems

From: Dave Brubaker (b52d@piace.com)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 13:26:46 PDT

Some of you had helped me with a prior problem with the ignition system,
after the ignition got hot the motor quit running and no spark could be
detected at the plugs. The vehicle has an electronic ignition module in the
distributor. Upon suggestions, I replaced the coil and it seemed to run
fine. Being the paranoid person I am, and getting ready for a parade, I
decided to let it idle in the driveway, and it idled at a high idle for 1
hour and 40 minutes and then died. It now refuses to start.

I am starting to think that the electronic ignition module is more trouble
than it is worth (just like most everybody told me from the list). I do
have another distributor with points and condenser in it, that I think I can
swap the coil and various other sundry items out of my dead electronic
ignition, and convert the ignition back to points and condenser.

However, besides paranoid, I'm chicken! Having never done anything like
this, I am unsure as how to proceed. I am currently combing through my -20
and -34 manuals and can't seem to find any particular section on replacement
of the distributor. Is there anybody out there who might have advice on how
to proceed. My thinking is that if I rebuild the older points distributor,
I should be able to lift the dead one out and drop the rebuilt one in. But,
you would think the engine would need to be in a certain position, such as
one cylinder at top dead center, or something like that.

Any advice from someone who has already gone down this particular road would
be greatly appreciated.

David & Donna Brubaker
Member MVPA
M-151A2