GPW TDC question

From: David Jenkins (GPW1942@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 04:48:29 PDT

Hello,
I have been rebuilding a newly machined GPW block for a while now. I am close to
completing it and getting my GPW back on the road. During the rebuild I lined up
the marks on the crank and cam sprockets, installed the chain and put the cover on.

It then took a little time to finish the head. In the interim the crank was turned
a number of times. Can I find TDC with out removing the timing chain cover?
Does the distributor in a GPW only go in one way? If so, where should the rotor be
facing at TDC?

Your advice is appreciated.

Dj in NJ