Military Roads & Indian Trails

From: wwd@netheaven.com
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 07:04:04 PDT

In <list-1318285@skylee.com>, on 10/02/01
   at 09:30 AM, Rikk Rogers <rkltd@swbell.net> said:

>We have a map book called an "Atlas & Gazetteer" (available at Wal-Mart)
>done by DeLorme http://www.delorme.com/atlases/atlasgaz.htm that has most
>of the county roads and back trails on it and makes for a trail ride on
>any trip.

>My 13 year old daughter did the navigation on the way south, and my 11
>year old daughter did the same on the way back north, different routes in
>each direction.
>We used the Hwy bridges to cross rivers but stayed on dirt the rest of
>the time.
>In the car we have had a good time finding old RR sidings and lost towns
>just for the kick, the M38 makes it even more fun!

>I'm thinking a weekend trail ride could be set up off the cuff, quick and
>easy, any place in the country with one of these books.

If there is a DeLorme A&G book for your home state, go for it! Using the
A&G for NY State I plotted a shortcut across NY that seemed very direct
and logical, but was comprised of several different road segments of
varying quality. No matter, it's a perfect 'as the crow flies' route.
Following it was easy and intuitive. Along the way there were many State
historical signs describing the 'xxx Indian trail- later, yyy military
road'. Some stretches were down to dirt driveway, but were nonetheless
smooth and safe for even a Deuce *. So every time I wish to go from
Canajoharie to Courtland and the weather is good, I take this route. Doing
it perfectly from memory is a real challenge, since it is always at least
a few years between tries.

* - But probably illegal due to GVW limits. "But officer, the sign says it
is a 'military road' ".

Bill

--
wwd@netheaven.com       Be Green    Pack a mean machine.