"Jake Brakes" Possible on an M35?

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 21:45:35 PDT

Hi All...

As some of you know, I drive up to Reno from the SF Bay Area nearly
every month in my wonderful M35A2 and tow the M1007 behind it.

I try to save my brakes by not using them on the steep downhill
stretches, and use a lower gear to slow the truck usually to whatever
the curve's speed limit sign states. Yeah, I know, everyone with a
brain does that.

However, I saw a sign that suggested truckers use their "Jake Brakes".

I looked up this term and found out that Jake Brakes are a mechanism
installed on the heads of a diesel engine which when engaged, allows
the cylinders to build up compression as they normally would to fire
the fuel, but just before firing, lifts the exhaust valves and
dumps the compressed air to the exhaust (the fuel flow gets turned
off when the device is engaged).

Can a Jake Brake system be installed on a deuce?

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 Cubic Inch Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net