M37 axles

From: Doyle, John D (JDoyle@framatech.com)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 12:53:46 PDT

I just snapped an axle in my '51 M37. I was literally 15' off the
paved road, creeping up a 4-5% grade in 2WD at about 5-8mph when
the front right wheel hit a rock about the size of a football. Pow!

Normally, I wouldn't think that would be any big deal, especially
given the terrain I've traversed in the past, but...

I was talking with an old timer from the local National Guard
branch and he said that M37s were "known" for snapping axles.

What has been the general consensus on this? Has anybody put
bigger axle shafts in the stock housing? What does an axle cost?

John