Re: [MV] POW??

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 15:04:37 PDT

In a message dated Fri, 5 Oct 2001 3:56:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Doyle, John D" <JDoyle@framatech.com> weeps:

> I just snapped an axle in my '51 M37.

Yup, they'll do that on you!

>I was literally 15' off the
> paved road, creeping up a 4-5% grade in 2WD at about 5-8mph when
> the front right wheel hit a rock about the size of a >football. Pow!

They generally just go crunch...how'd you get a POW out of yours?

> Normally, I wouldn't think that would be any big deal, especially
> given the terrain I've traversed in the past, but...

Yup, that's what cracks them, then they go without warning later on at the most inconvenient times.

> I was talking with an old timer from the local >National Guard branch and he said that M37s were "known" for snapping axles.

Indeed they are!

> What has been the general consensus on this? Has >anybody put bigger axle shafts in the stock housing?

Consenus is usually that if you beef up the shafts, something more expensive will snap instead. It's an academic argument, because no aftermarket axles are sold.

>What does an axle cost?
About $75..see Trader John's Outpost on the web.
Keep a spare set aboard. One is longer, so you need to know which one broke.
Cheers!

CJ