Re: [MV] Striking back with a big green truck...

From: Frank Cox (grntrks@juno.com)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 19:23:37 PDT

Bill,

Until I saw your message about your daughter's school and "daddy's green
truck" I had not thought about posting this. Thanks for the nudge.

Sept 28,01 some of the members of the Arrowhead Chapt / MVPA were invited
to participate in Freedom Week at Alvarado Elementry School, Alvarado,
Texas.

We had folks in Civil War uniform ( north and south) , a member in WW1
uniform, and a survivor of Omaha Beach in Normandy (in uniform). Each of
these folks gave a brief talk about how each war helped keep our freedom.

Then the kids came outside for a surprise. A WW11 jeep, a WW11 ambulance
(complete with wounded soldier {dummy} and a live nurse), a WW11 GMC CCKW
2 1/2 ton 6x6 and my M35A2 (1966-Vietnam era). As each class progressed
from one vehicle to the next they got a brief explanation of how these
trucks were used while they were in service with the military. All
drivers were in correct uniform for the period and vehicle.

The kids loved it and the teachers thought it was great. And we had a
ball. I think some of the teachers even learned a few things.

The co-ordinator of the event even showed up in a vintage 1940's suit.

What better way to promote Freedom, America, and a little history??

Way to go, Bill.

Frank Cox
MVPA 14530
45 GMC DUKW