CCKW stuff...some clarifications..speedo fix

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 18:33:25 PDT

Firststly, regarding my previous message re wheels,tyres&axles.

My vehicle is a Banjo dif.

I would use DUKW wheels and tyres but they are not readily available.

I would use any large single tyres, but i am informed they are
not suitable for use in low pressure situations..ie 9.00, 10.00,
or 11.00 * 20".

I am advised that 12.00 * 20 are suitable for low pressure,
furthermore being standard size for Oz Army, they are cheaply
available as surplus. I have a spare set of CCKW wheels,
apparently it is not hard to make 2 into 1 wide rim, therefore
my costs would be reduced..one does not wish to bankrupt oneself.

I am not sure whether 1.5" is enough clearance between rear bogie
tyres...i suspect not...i think i can move the forward-REAR axle
forward, although i would have to shorten 2 drive shafts ( by 1.5")
This would have the effect of increasing the space between the
rear bogies by 3 " all up.

No alteration would be neccesary to front axle

I would prefer to do nothing that cannot be easily reversed.
I think 12.00 single tyres would be good to run in general,
and not detract from the appearance of the vehicle.

Took it for another run today, this time to test the newly
fixed speedo.
The cable was broken, I went to Peps and boufgt a generic
replacement cable for $10...trouble being the driven pinion
fitting on the CCKW was incompatible...so i drilled out the
busted pinion drive and epoxied and crimped the new cable into
the old pinion, works fine.....will have to do a speed check
tho cause she was doing 40mph in 4th...with some left.

On my truck there is no governor, so maybe i revved it too hard,
i will check with a tacho, and DEFINATELY fit one fulltime
2750 rpm is supposed max...motor runs very strong and smooth now

Some oldtimers said some used to go much quicker than others,
I wonder if that was due to setting of the governor (sounds like
they revved the guts out of them).

Could also be a different speedo calibration, as it was not original
I obliterated the "Made in Nippon" lettering..it is an old one tho
reads 0-60mph, and has funny ornate numerals that somehow look just
right.

My transfer case stills howls...i reset the handbrake band, as it
was VERY hot, and hoped that would reduce the noise, but no
There is no floor cover panels in yet, or sound deadening.
Could be thats how they are.

I was told handbrake drag has been known to cause a fire!
Is this heard of?

                        regards tony

ps: The ACKWX would have had a 248cu motor if it was indeed a "lost French"
vehicle. Les believes it to be one of them as it is an unaltered 174"
wheelbase.
Apparently nothing is known of the wheelbase on this (French)contract.
The American ACKWX had a 256cu motor and wheelbase 2"(i think) shorter than
CCKWs
(according to my sources)