[MV] M35 engine ?

From: Kerry Bernstein (kbernste@us.ibm.com)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 05:02:53 PDT

Kenny, it could be a few things, but it sounds like the problem
you had was the one that made me crazy. I replaced my 465-1D's head gasket
a couple years ago, and still had this problem. I had either oil or diesel
leak from between intake and exhaust manifold, at mount to head.
A few ideas I collected.

1) Oil coming from gallery boxes? The bolts run right through there, easy
to check
2) Oil from valve cover gasket? Again easy to check
3) Diesel fuel leaking from manifold preheater valve assembly - easy to
check and fix
4) Engine is "wet-stacking" - a ring is stuck, cylinder incompletely
combusting, excess fuel
     accumulates at rings and gets pushed out manifold. Would still run
great.
5) An honest-to-God head gasket leak - possible but if you were careful on
replacement is unlikely
     Did you use most recent NSN upgrade PN? I can dig it up if you need
it.
6) Cracked head - very unlikely

Few of these are killers, and a 2500 mile run might actually fix #4. I was
advised
to run engine hot (~ temp >150) by sticking cardboard in front of radiator
for a while
to free up stuck rings.

I don't understand - you installed a C turbo? - on a naturally aspirated
truck?
I thought thats a no-no: piston change required.

Kerry Bernstein
1970 M35A2 "Where do YOU want to go today, Mr Gates?"