Re: [MV] metal cleaning

From: Floyd Petri (fpetri@eastex.net)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 16:48:09 PDT

I have used muratic acid to clean rust off a lot of things such as wrenches
and small parts. I took a very very rusty wrench and attached a wire to it
and dropped it in a container of muratic acid for about ten minutes and the
wrench came out like new, but where there were holes they were exposed. I
have never used it for anything huge because I did not have a dip tank and
the acid is so dangerous I did not want to take any chances on it spilling
or something getting into it. So I pour it up as I need it to clean
something. Here is what I have learned.

1. It will clean "all rust" off an item and make it like new.
2. You can finish up by washing the item with water to get all the acid off.
I never tried to nutralize it.
3. If you clean it with muradic acid you will have to do something to the
medal almost within the same day you clean it. A tool needs to be painted or
have a light coat of oil or it will completely get a light coat of rust very
quickly. A day or two later its rusted to bad to paint. Other things that
are to be painted need to be primed as soon as its dry so it won't rust.

Floyd