Re: [MV] metal cleaning - I use plain vinegar

From: Steve Malikoff (MIL-VEH account) (44gpw@phaedra.apana.org.au)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 01:51:47 PDT

G'day all,
   I just use plain old brown cooking vinegar from the supermarket. Drop
the rusted parts in it for a few days, and all the rust is removed (not
converted, like phosphoric acid) back to a shiny bright surface. Dirt on
the item to be stripped is ok, as long as it isn't oily dirt - it will be
stripped once you wash the dirt off. Dip in bicarb of soda to neutralise
the vinegar, wash thoroughly, dry and primer it. Molasses diluted 1:4
also works fine. No need to use other fancier acids. I used brown vinegar
as it was a few cents cheaper per 2l bottle than white vinegar, which works
just as well. After use, filter it and pour it back into the container for
next time.

Steve Malikoff.
steven@phaedra.apana.org.au