Re WILLYBISHI post from E. O.

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 06:41:09 PDT

(This post although kinda long contains two postings)

EO ....EO ...EO Welcome aboard ...even if you do have a funny name !

 First, I must confess it was as I settled in last night for a long winters
read of my three favorite message boards, that I came across your message
indicating your blasphemous use of the two words that should never appear in
the same sentence, paragraph or posting !
Instantly my computor screen skipped and flickered ...my hard drive went
soft ...my bytes were reduced to nibbles and for several minutes the
Willys Gods let loose their displeasure within my email folders
There were two words you wrote, Willys and Mitsubishi ...ahhhh !

Then, as I peered deeply into my darkening screen, I saw you ...just
faintly .
But make "no" mistake, it was you, just the same !
In the back row. Wearing the Hawiian shirt too !
And it was then I thought .
EO., looks just like an old neighbor of mine ?

So next, reading your name again (EO) reminded me of my early days working
on that neighbors farm.
Funny, that the neighbor's name was McDonald .

Often, being bored, I sang to the animals that freely scavenged around the
main barn & buildings
It is familiar to most of us... (sing along if you wish ?)
"Old MacDonalds had a farm, E I ...E I ...O
and on that farm there was a Willys E i ...E i ...EO
& also there is an old Toyota PU E i ...E i ...EO
& I think there could be a Mitsubishi ...E O ...EO ...EO
& so on.

So EO, in the words of Bill Clinton
" I feel your Pain " But hang in there !

Now, my present flock includes three scraggly CJ2As two MB's and two CJ5s
My second MB is a rare 42' USMC Reconn., Jeep Needs lotsa tlc

Now, at this point the Lil' Lady comes into the picture (the wife)
(she was never a farmer - but, once was a farmers daughter !)

The wife absolutly HATES all the gear shifters in the CJ 5
This jeep is in excellent shape
The CJ5 was a "Surrey Jeep" with the fringe on top - also with a columm
shift still in place and the usual 3 shift levers plus the OD shifter.
Count em ! Five, shift levers. She hates the levers... just wants to
drive it Not massage it !

Now here's where your story parrallels my problem !

One of the 5's lives right next to my (very fast) lil' Toyota Celica engine
and tranny ...and the word's gotten around the barn... that there is to be
a Marriage
I'm not sure of the married name however, see what you think ?
TOYILLYS
or
WILLYOTA

Well, every night I'm on my knees in prayer to the Willys gods.
If the Gods spare me and my firstborn ...then, ALL other Willys in our
flock will remain totally original .

Well, if I survive the Taliban and the Willys Gods, then, it's best regards
from me
Aussie Rob
Upstate Ny area near Syracuse.

Original message from "E O"
Hello I'm the Hawaiian shirt clad new guy in the back row, and I have a
question.

First, by way of introduction, my name is Ed Gibson. My friends call me E.O.
I've been 39 for twelve years, and the Willys virus has recently re-infested
my bloodstream. In past years I've owned two flat fenders and a Tuxedo
Park. I am now Willys-less.

My son, Young Tomfoamer, currently is in driver training and, as you might
guess, enthusiastically supports my idea to acquire a Willys Station Wagon
to teach him basic back yard automotive science: how to use a socket wrench
as a hammer; how to ignore directions and install the part backwards; how to
duct tape radiator leaks; how to sneak expensive parts past Frau Blucher
(the wife) using Home Depot bags; and the like.

My actual question takes some explaining. The other day I was tossing the
still-smoldering debris from my latest experiment-gone-awry into the back of
the ranch garbage scow, an '84 Dodge D-50 4X4, when I noticed that said
vehicle appeared to have the approximate track of a CJ.

A tape measure job done in full consultation with Uncle Jack Daniels
confirmed this, and I had an idea.
Judicious use of a cutting torch coupled with the application of some
Absolutely Non Original Parts (ANOP, pat. pend.) might produce a fairly
credible CJ3B (my favorite CJ) look alike, well suited for negotiating
suburban curbs and flower beds (as a new driver, I assume Young Tomfoamer
will spend some time wheeling on these sorts of terrain).

That night, I strapped on my surfboard to glean technical info from the Web,
and suddenly there it was: the grand cosmic coincidence.

The more worldly of you already know where I'm headed with this. A D-50 is
actually a Mitsubishi in Ram's clothing. What I discovered was that, for
many years, Mitsubishi manufactured a licensed CJ3B clone (J55 &
predecessors). The Willys gods were talking to me, in Japanese no less!

So, finally, here is the question: Will I risk early expulsion from
WillysTech, should I undertake said vehicular venture (Willybishi)? Please
understand that I will NEVER show up at a Willys meet in this ride, and
that, after all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. (Secondarily,
you existentialist philosophers out there might want to offer arguments as
to which manufacturer's Jeep I would actually be imitating.)

(aside to self: alright, let's see...flame-proof shorts, CHECK...Borate
Bombers frequent flyers discount coupon, CHECK...bunker stocked with Uncle
Jack and chili beans, CHECK...READY!)

I'm already beginning to see raised hands. Mr. Schooler, I believe that
yours shot up first-------
=====
E.O., Sillycon Valley, CA
49 CJ2A; 51 CJ3A; 62? Tuxedo Park: All gone, now ;-)
57 Ford 600 tractor: standby engine hoist
Willybishi in planning: specs courtesy of Uncle Jack Daniels
50-something 4wd SW: a wish, a hope, and a prayer