Re: [MV] 1/2 track hood numbers

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@ptd.net)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 11:15:16 PDT

   Dj wrote:
>....... I am looking for info on 1/2 track hood numbers and marking for
>the European
>theater. Serial number 6232. Data plate says it is a 1942.
>Also, is the serial number stamped anywhere on the frame like the WCs?

     The vehicle serial number is stamped on the out side of the frame on
the left side just behind the axle. Turn the wheels to the right and stick
your head under the fender and you should see the number. The original
model of the half track will also be stamped right before the
number..ie. M-15A1-966 or M-3-1234.
    It should be noted that many of these were rebuilt into a different
model than they were built. M-15, M-15A1 were rebuilt into M-16-A1 and A2
models. These were built by Autocar but look just like the White built ones.

     If your vehicle was a M-15-A1, I have a "magic" number that when added
to the vehicle serial number will give you the original USA registration
number.

   As for markings, Portrayal Press has several books on Half tracks that
have many good photos of these in service.

Jim

   NOTE NEW ADDRESS----NOTE NEW ADDRESS---NOTE NEW ADDRESS------AS OF
JANUARY 4, 2001---------

Jim Gilmore