Re: [MV] metal cleaning

From: Everette Doyle (194cbteng@pchnet.com)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 05:51:20 PDT

Crankshafts seem to be sort of delicate in spite of some of them being
really massive. I was in engine manufacturing shop a few months back and
they were heat treating crankshafts. They had these stacked several on a
platform thing and put them in oven. They would not tell me the temp they
held them at or for how long - did tell me that some time in this period
they injected anhydrous ammonia into chamber - perhaps for the nitrogen
content. They were not really very open on this matter. I just happened on
it and got very little information. And I do understand why they were not
very sharing.

One thing I did learn that was of real interest to me was this hardening
treatment only went about 10,000 into metal - I take this to me if I turn
crank past 10 undersize I am now into unhardended metal???

I mentioned not sharing -- I also a couple years or so ago made a service
call to Kellogg breakfast cereal plant. They would not tell me what kind of
cereal they made at this plant - I was escorted to where I was to work on
machine and fellow stayed right with me all the time. By the way they made
Froot Loops and Apple Jacks in this plant --- the dumpster was close to
where I was and they were dumping tons of them there.
We will not waver.
We will not tire.
We will not falter.
We will not fail.