Re: [MV] WTB: Military Suburban gear

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 22:07:17 PDT

Hi Jay...

>Oh well; I guess that's ONE way around section 1062. If all else fails,
>I suppose we'll all wind up collecting homemade MVs, like some desert
>clan from "The Road Warrior"!!! ;-)
>
>Jay Travis
>"Who's wondering if armor-plating was ever an option on an Australian
>Ford Falcon?"

Hey, now watch it, Jay!

;)

The reason I built my CUCV Suburban was that the CUCV Blazer didn't
offer enough room for my family (wife and 3 kids) plus camping gear
for trips, and the CUCV pick up offered lots of cargo space but no
seating...although I considered a M1008 with a 250 shelter. My family
goes tent camping a LOT way back in the boonies and this was the only
practical MV I and the family could be all-around happy with.

I am attempting to do a completely true conversion on this Suburban
and am researching every detail to build it as if it had actually been
a GI vehicle. In other words, I think I'm doing it right. If any MV
enthusiast made a list of how a CUCV Suburban would be equipped, which
platform it would have used, how the interior would have been set up,
and etc., the list would probably match my design perfectly. I will
agree that it is not a real issue MV, but it still conveys the image
of a restored MV to the public and even to my MV friends.

A few people have told me that there were Canadian issue Suburban MVs
in the mid 80s, although I have yet to find any documentation or
pictures of these.

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 Cubic Inch Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net