Re: [MV] G-can reconditioning

From: wwd@netheaven.com
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 06:15:08 PDT

In <list-1333015@skylee.com>, on 10/17/01
   at 09:15 AM, Rikk Rogers <rkltd@swbell.net> said:

>I used the fuel tank coating stuff from Eastwoods,
>http://www.eastwoodco.com/
>Worked great on an M38 fuel tank, although, were I to do it again I would
>fill the holes with JB Weld before coating.

>>All, I have been repairing my WWII G-cans, patching holes etc. Is there
>>a product tht can be swished around the inside that will seal the tank
>>and also be resitent to the solvent effect of the gas? Tks Dewey

Gaahk. Do you intend to store gas in them for any length of time? Or just
for emergency use which, hopefully, will never happen?

I've used that swirrelly stuff which worked ok as long as the car was a
daily driver. After sitting around, the coating (mostly) came off, leaving
an unrepairable mess.

Today's gasoline is repulsive stuff- I don't want to breathe it, touch it
or see it on the ground. Any more.

The best gas tank is a new replacement tank, or get a plastic tank of the
approx size from a junkyard (76 Dodge Van, 92 Aerostar Van for examples).
The Dodge should fit an M37 (I hope!) and the Aero is long & narrow. Hate
to think these beauties are being crushed somewhere as we speak. Go
salvage.

G-cans would be good to practice Mig welding on. And leave those seams
showing.

Bill

--
wwd@netheaven.com       [Repair Reuse Recycle]