Re: [MV]

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 09:20:54 PDT

At 12:13 PM -0400 10/19/01, islander wrote:
>Hi Ryan,
>
>>Shift them to REMF jobs or stick them in near FEBA medical/service
>>roles. Let them truck the ammo back and forth, handle casualties and
>>recover disabled vehicles. Of they could all go into construction
>>battalions.
>
>This would appear, on the surface, to be a good idea. However, it
>establishes a precedent that might bite us on the butt later on. From
>the little I know this is one of the big problems the German Bundeswehr
>has been facing since the end of the Cold War. One of my German friends

I agree, giving them an easy out is not the thing to do. But I like
the idea of putting them in a Sgt York mode. Sure, you don't have to
kill, but you do have to help other people in the process. Our
mechanized army has a massive tail. As long as the people that pull
the triggers have the things they need then all is good.

I'm not saying put them in nice safe REMF roles always. If the
medical units need additional Ambulance drivers, then there you go.
Some of those units are just behind the FEBA. The same goes for the
logistics units that support front line troops. If they are trained
as an infantryman and don't want to kill, then they get changed to
being a medic for a combat unit after appropriate training. Having
someone on the line that doesn't want to kill won't help much.

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill             ----------           SW1025 H -