Re:

From: islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 08:57:16 PDT

Yeah, the same BS happened during Operation Desert Shield. Most were in
the National Guard units and they objected because they thought they
weren't allowed to be deployed outside of the US unless war was actually
declared and that their recruiters had mislead them (I bet this did
happen to some extent!). To the best of my knowledge the anti-war groups
and the media, for a couple of days, made too much of the whole thing.
From what I recall the number of people that objected was small, VERY
small. 500,000 troops deployed so if even 1000 objected (and I doubt it
was more than a few dozen!) the % would have been so tiny it wouldn't
even register as significant. Well, except to those who have nothing
better to blow it out of proportion...

Note these conscientious objector groups don't use numbers. A
"significant" increase could mean 4 people called their offices this
month instead of the usual 1. So personally I don't think this is
anything we need to worry about. Like any large group of human beings,
there will ALWAYS be a bunch trying to duck out of their responsibilities
in order to get a free ride.

I expect that even less people, percentage wise, are trying to duck out
of the service now than during the Gulf War. In 1990 the US was not
attacked so it is understandable that some people didn't feel that the US
should be involved. This time it is VERY different.

Steve