Re: [MV] Power for VRC radios in HMMWV??

From: Mark J. Blair (mblair1@home.net)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 20:00:13 PDT

"Ned Parkes" <sparkes@fast.net> wrote:
> I have a HMMWV that I am trying to add a VRC-12 series radio set to.
> Does anyone know where the power is obtained for the set? I could
> hook up to the batteries directly but I think there should be some
> sort of buss bar (or something) to connect the power cable to that
> goes to the MT-1029.

I think that some of the ambulance versions have a buss bar in the
battery box, but in the common cargo variants, the radio get connected
to the power feed-through stud and ground bolt under the vehicle.

There is a set of three holes in the transmission hump near the front
right seat. A big rubber grommet with a pair of mounting ears, backed
up by a sheet metal bracket, mounts in that set of holes. You fasten
the power and antenna cables to the radio shelf along the right side
with a couple of rubber-cushioned pipe clamps, run them down along the
right mounting leg of the shelf, and then pass the power cable through
the grommet. The power cable connects to the insulated positive
feed-through stud and the ground bolt under the vehicle. The antenna
cables should be routed along the right side of the transmission hump,
and then through a similar grommet (with a different hole pattern
depending on the particular set of cables being used) mounted in the
three holes behind the right rear seat.

Here's a picture of a "by the book" AN/VRC-47 installation in my
HMMWV, which shows where the thick power cable goes through the
transmission hump:

    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/greentruck/truck2/p19.jpg

I have a couple other pictures of that radio installation on my web
page.

I hope this helps!

P.S.: Yes, I'm obviously back on the MIL-VEH list, now that things
have calmed down a bit. I was really going through MIL-VEH withdrawal
for the last month! :-)

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/