military standard engine question

From: Chris Stansbury (chris_stansbury@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 17:31:47 PDT

Hi Listers,
I am working on a military standard engine. It runs great, but the other
day, I checked the oil and it was full of gas. Oh crap! So, I replaced the
fuel pump, assuming that's where it was coming from, changed the oil and
filter. Yesterday, I fire it back up and it still runs like a clock, it
doesn't smoke at all. I check the oil and guess what, it's full of gas
again (not just a little gas, the oil was nice and light milky brown). Do
you know of any other ways that much gas could be getting into the
crankcase? When I had the carb off, replacing the pump, I noticed that
there was gas sitting in the intake. I haven't run the engine in two weeks
so it may have been pretty fresh. I am wondering if gas is still coming out
of the carb after I shut it off and if it is trickling down the intake or
down the EGR hose. This is very puzzling as the tank is not above the carb
so how could that much gas be siphoned out of the tank? I am going to let
it sit for a few days and see if I end up with a bunch of fresh gas in the
empty crankcase. I would appreciate any thoughts y'all might have. Thanks
in advance.
Sincerely,
Chris Stansbury
Memphis, TN