Re: [MV] Suggestions for Moving Halftrack from NW Chicago suburb to Atlanta

From: Nigel Hay (nigel@milweb.net)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 06:00:42 PDT

Dont even think about driving it that far !! I have an M16 myself and I know
from experience to take it by low boy, I drove it 800 miles in 94 on
Normandy 50th and couldnt believe how quickly the tracks wore down.

- apart from about 3mpg you will put a lot of wear on the tracks (they last
2000 miles max) and you are likely to encounter the need to adjust them
several times en route. The M16 is more weighty than the other models and
you will feel the drag as you go! The tracks wear less on wet roads....but
you arent in the UK! Check the tracks are properly adjusted and take it
gently reversing as if you have loose tracks its a sure way to shed one.
Also on a long run you need to jack it up to relieve the transfer case "wind
up" from time to time.
Also check that all the bolts on the idler wheels are tight - they work
loose and then the holes oval and you have all the grief of replacing them.
Also check the bogie arm nuts are tight and lubricate the bogie suspension
slider and volute springs with light oil.

Before you run the turret, do a full lube job on it or you can easily burn
out the motors - make sure the sliding shafts on the turret motors are rust
free and lubed - disconnect the drive arms in the turret base (its a slip
joint) and manually push the turret round as you lube it. It will also get
you fit doing so!

All good fun, NIGE