Re: [MV] Band of Brothers

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 09:35:10 PDT

At 11:38 AM -0700 10/20/01, David Richoux wrote:
>Hi all,
>
> I am also watching every episode - I hope they will release the
>series on DVD subsequently.
>
>One question I have regarding their use of MVs - maybe some of you
>WW2 combat vets
>can answer - after some of the smaller battles the troops were taken
>directly back
>to the rear area in 6x6 open cargo trucks - how close to the front
>lines would such
>a vulnerable truck be taken? I know the concept of APC had not been
>developed much

Probably depends on the operational needs. If that was all that was
available, then they likely would have used that.

In the case of the use of Red Ball Express trucks to transport the
101st to Bastogne, yes, they were ordered to the rear area where the
101st was resting and refitting. Once there, they were to dump their
cargos and haul the 101st and 82nd to plug the gaps.

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill             ----------           SW1025 H -