USMC markings

From: Keith Byrd (byrdhouse@netease.net)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 20:04:54 PDT

I know this has been covered before, but could someone refresh my memory? I
have some M274's that have diamonds with numbers inside. I have a friend
that recently got a mobile crane that has a half circle (flat side down)
with the numbers 2334 inside. I remember that these numbers represent unit
assignment.
We are both from the USA school of marking things, like 2/504. We are not
familiar with the marine markings, but even old soldiers recognize USMC
(which was stamped nearby).
Thanks,
Keith