USMC MB radio jeep

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@ptd.net)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 19:44:14 PDT

Aussie Rob wrote:
>......Recently, (I aquired an unrestored MB Jeep,
>I'm told, It's a very rare USMC Communications Jeep with PTO output pully
>besides the driver that operated a belt driven Generator, (next to the
>driver) that supplied power for the radios..........

     This is a USMC MZ-2 radio jeep. These are often thought to be US Navy
as there should be a large square data plate in the middle of the dash that
has US Navy on it along with the contract and "MZ-2" . These were built for
the Marines circa 1943. Although they are rare I have seen/heard of five
of them in the last few months. One that we (Combat Vehicles) restored for
Ted Swartz here in PA., one restored and owned by USMC collector Tom Price
in Ohio and three other unrestored ones also in Ohio. At the Reading, PA.
WW II weekend and Air Show this year there were two of them (Ted and Tom's)
running about.

> This (my) jeep had the water
>fording kit and special distributor.

     The complete fording kit includes the distributor as well as a
waterproof horn and many other items specific to this kit. I have copies of
the Willys instruction manual for this kit available as well as the data
sheets on the MZ-2 radio installation.

> Also, it has the pigs tail hooks on the
>frame horns. At the back are rings for off loading from a ship.

    This is standard WW II USMC practice for jeeps and you should also have
the rings on the front bumper as well.

> I'm told that this jeep is a protoype for a later model that went into
>production around the late '40s

     These were not prototypes but production models. You may be thinking
of the later V-35 which preceded the M-38.

>Mine is totally an early MB . . . all original. I have the MB style two
>pane windsheild Whereas, I've seen pictures of the production models which
>had the single glass - no divider.

    Single glass is postwar. All MB's had the Ford designed, two piece
glass, tubular frame windshield.

> I'm also told that there were only approx
>1000 models made around late '40s early '50s
>
>I have No information as to what radio were in these jeeps ?

     Radios were a TCS unit (TCS - 5 I think) in two large waterproof
cabinets mounted on each rear wheel well along with a small cabinet at the
rear. Your jeep should have a line of holes drilled along the top edge of
the sides where the cabinets bolt in. Driver's side grab handle should be
missing and an antenna mount installed in it's place. There should also be
two battery boxes on each side behind the front seats. These were for the
operation of the 12 volt radio in addition to the 6 volt one for the motor
under the hood.

>Again, I'm told that there were probably a full compliment of communications
>Radios - who knows - including ship to shore ?
>
>Regarding my Reconnaisance jeep, I have found only two guys on the internet
>who are currently restoring one of these, each. They have supplied all of
>my information.

    Looks like there are at least seven of these......

>Anyone who may be able to supply an additional sentence or two would be
>greatly appreciated.

      Well, I do have the original TM for these jeeps for sale. Rather
expensive but it is THE correct TM. although it only has three pages and
cover stamping that are different that the standard early Willys TM.

     There are also some photos in the National Archives of these jeeps in
service. Ford also modified some GPW's into radio jeeps for the USMC
during the war.

Jim

   NOTE NEW ADDRESS----NOTE NEW ADDRESS---NOTE NEW ADDRESS------AS OF
JANUARY 4, 2001---------