Re: [MV] Band of Brothers replica tank

From: Mike S (tankcity@globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 01:01:07 PDT

Hi All

Been away as usual

The 3 Stug 3s were built on 432 chassis at the Hatfield studios where the
majority of BoB was shot in the UK. The 432s came direct from British MoD
stocks. They were built by the team of Steve Lamonby, the Vehicle
Consultant to the picture. He did a brilliant job, including moving the
entire driving position and controls about a further eighteen inches to the
rear of the vehicles.

All three Shermans used in the picture are Grizzlys. Two were the same as P.
Ryan and a further example was purchased.

We supplied two of the three Cromwells used in the picture. These are
genuine WW2 Cromwells that had been converted to Charioteers by the Finnish
Army by fitting uprated turrets and guns. Four or five years ago the
Charioteers were reimported from Finland and fell into our hands. We
sourced original Cromwell turrets from the British Army ranges and fitted
these and new Rolls meteor engines to the tanks at the same time modifying
hatches and other fittings back to original. The tricky part was getting
the turret traverse and elevation mechanisms to work for the picture. The
third Cromwell in the film is in fact a Centaur - same tank, different
engine.

For Canadian interest, we purchased the third Grizzly after shooting and
it's now on its way to the Canadian War Museum at Ottowa.

Cheers. Mike S. RR Services. UK.