Re: [MV] M35A2 Brake failure / Our first Airshow.

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 13:23:22 PDT

In a message dated 10/26/01 8:42:20 AM Central Daylight Time,
TacticalTruck@aol.com writes:

<< I can't remember if they went to air brakes on the
 A3s or not. >>

M35A3 trucks don't have air brakes, but they do have a split hydraulic brake
system with two air-hydraulic cylinders. I can scan and email anyone who
wants a drawing from the TM 9-2320-386-10 that shows the split master
cylinder.
Uncle Sam is a little gun shy about true conventional airbrake systems,
because, among other things, of the spring safety brakes. No air, no drive,
cause the brakes are set. The old G-792 series ten tons had air brakes, but
were abnormal, in that in their case, no air, no brakes, but you could still
drive.
A friend of mine ran into some of this problem here while back...couldn't
start his M911-XM747 combination (full air brakes), and couldn't pull it to
start it until he aired up the brake system to release the brakes....not a
big deal when playing, but a real problem in a combat situation. Also, with
true air brakes, you break an airline, you are through driving.
That is related to how "parking brake" works on most vehicles with airbrakes,
by exhausting the air...M35A3 has same parking brake system as M35A2.
Quickest way to check a vehicle is to look for the brake chambers that
operate the cams on the axles...large canister looking things at each wheel,
A3's don't have 'em.

Hope this helps,
DD