Re: [MV] X-ref parts for MULE request

From: Robert Barber (rbarber41@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 09:59:11 PDT

Keith

>You have a good idea, but I'd worry that the higher octane would burn
>pistons,valves,etc. Let me know if you have any adverse effects.

   Higher octane rated gas burning internal components is an
old wives tale and bogus .. You can burn / destroy internal
motor components via a too low octane rating (detonation)
or via the new low lead formulations that can and will cook
valves in some motors ..

Back in the days (IE 40 - 50's) of J3 cubs and the like with
65 HP motors the owners manual stated that if Aviation grade
gas was not available that tractor gas (read the low octane
standard auto fuel of the day) was acceptable but recommended
retarding the spark advance of the ignition to prevent detonation

If you could still find Aviation "145" colored purple
(WW II - 50's prop fighter fuel) you could still run it in a
8:1 compression motor with zero adverse effects.. Its when
you go the opposite way you can get in trouble quick..

                                     Bob B