CCKW canvas question...possible axle housing repair

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 19:23:14 PDT

Could someone kindly tell me, what is the distance between the CCKW
cargo body floor and the canvas roof...ie floor to ceiling in the cargo
body.
(from the inside)
I am fiddling with canvas fitment and bow construction.
My estimate is 45-48 inches.

Also, on the cabin roof, there is a section that flops over the sides.
It appears to have a stiffened section, to hold the doors in place.
Does it?

If i dont procure another front axle housing to correct the welded
up ends(causing bad camber), I may proceed as follows; simplified

Bassically I would level up the housing and carefully measure
runout on the hubs with a dial gauge, then the axle housing welds would
be ground down with a grinder until the cracks reappeared.
The axle ends would be 'bent' a little, measuring runout with dial gauge
then tack welded, remeasure etc. Once happy, a pro welder can finish up
with special rods.

I guess i would probably need to virtually cut-off the ends to allow
correction to occur, that would be the worst bit, but otherwise, it
would be fairly straightforward..i think i could achieve sufficient
accuracy to within or close to spec with my measuring technique.

Does this sound feasible, any suggestions?

                        regards tony