Re: [MV] Date on M17 Cal .50 ammo box for SAS jeep & DEWAT Vickers G.O. (K) guns

From: Colin Stevens (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 20:00:01 PST

I am trying to date a steel ammo box that I recently acquired from a WWII
British paratrooper (13 Para Bn).

I just received photos of "5 SAS" (i.e. Belgian Squadron) jeeps at the end
of WWII. Those with the M2HB .50 cal mounted in front of the passenger have
this same ammo box sitting there in a rack on the cowl to the right of the
gun.

Photo of my box is at: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/ebay_photos.htm

Markings on my box are:

CHEST, AMMUNITION
CAL .50 M17
D39091

It is SIDE opening (which is not ideal for feeding into a .50 cal.) not end
hinged as we see on more modern boxes.

Can anyone tell me WHEN this model of box was introduced, and approximately
when it would have gone out of service? Also, as friends may now ask for
them, does anyone know of any for sale and the approximate price/value?

Sorry, NO M35 content. :-)

Also, does anyone know of any DEWAT Vickers G.O. (aka Vickers K) machineguns
for sale in Canada? These were used on aircraft early in WWII, then by some
ground troops. It is NOT the water cooled Vickers that comes on a tripod.

Thank you