Shrinking Metal Body work

From: Winget, William A CONT JTFCS5G (winget@jfcom.mil)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 07:56:47 PST

Don't use a hammer and Dolly when the metals hot, it will expand it.
Proper procedure I used to shrink both my fender wells, and rear floor board
on my GPW was to use a small oxy/acetylene torch (propane may work as well)
Heat small areas (6"- 8 inches worked for me) in a star pattern or octagon
(by this I mean heat 5-8 cherry hot points in a circle around the dented
area) Heat them till they just turn cherry. Then immediately use a soaking
wet rag to cool the area. This pulls the metal together, shrinking the
total space, and drawing the dent out. I had to heat several spots all
around the floor board to pull the metal tight enough to get the serious
depression out of her, but in the end it worked out. Start with a small
problem area. You'll be surprised at how well it works. Final phase is to
use glazing compound to fill minor pitting, etc. then sand down, prime and
paint.
Patience and practice work every time.
PS: my brother bought an MB battery bracket at the Ft. Lee show. Turns out
he had an Early MB frame, and the mount was different. I'll pass the
request for the Bracket to him.
Adrian Winget
Yorktown, Va.
All sorts of MV's and Artillery
Here's the link to the site:
http://home.mindspring.com/~jhooah/index.html

PS: Still looking for TOW missile system optics if anyone comes across some.
WAW