Re: [MV] PE95 G Gen Set

From: M35products@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 12:11:28 PST

In a message dated 10/30/01 12:46:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Recovry4x4@aol.com writes:

<< Going along with what Joe Young said, if you plan on running the whole
house,
 a transfer switch equal to your current service is required. Even the most
 basic NEMA certified mechanical switch is expensive. After battling on
 several fronts, I picked a 200 amp switch for just under a thousand. The
 cheapest 200amp I could find. My genset is a 30KW and comfortably runs the
 entire house.

 Kenneth Engle

An alternative is to create a "sub-panel" of just the essential circuits. In
my house, these are the fridge, furnace, water pump, and a few lights in the
central area of the house. These together are fed by a 100-amp panel. The
generator cross-over switch isolates this sub-panel. Therefore I only needed
a 100 amp switch. They are not nearly as expensive as stated. A 200-amp one
is around $400. My 100-amp one was a dumpster find from a demolition site.
It is not automatic, or complicated. Just a 2-pole, double throw switch,
with constant neutral. a p bloom