Sadly FLATFENDER JOE has passed on !

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 17:05:18 PST

Hello list:
I am saddened by the news of Joe VanSlyke

Some of you may have met Joe VanSlyke.
Probably most on the lists did not know him other than his postings from
time to time.

I consider that I was quite lucky in a way.

I was fortunate to spend a long, long day with Joe and Jody last March just
before they moved from Texas up north to their new home. They both were
excited about their move and at one point, eagerly showed the photos of the
new digs.

I first met Joe as he embraced part of a cardboard box filled with his T-90
transmission parts.

The day I spent with Joe last March was with Rick Stivers in San Antonio at
Rick's house.
It was the day when we three made the video ...T-90 Transmission Rebuild
Tape.

It was a long day, and at the end there was an anticipation that we would
meet again in the future.

After that day, Jody emailed several times. . . she mentioned that Joe was
not feeling too well and therfore, Jody was getting to answer some of their
mail after their big move.

I enjoyed his company
I enjoyed his humor
I enjoyed his knowledge of things Willys
I am quite saddened by his passing.
I will send my best regards for Jody during these sad, sad days.

In the big picture of life . . .I met Joe for only a fleeting moment.
However, I am far richer for the experience.

Sad Regards,
Rob Pearson
Upstste NY
Tending my flock of early, '40s Jeeps