Re: Willys DJ3A Surrey MB Jeeps

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 05:36:14 PST

Hello John I beleive I have one of these jeeps.
Next to my '42 MB it was really looks a little sissy -ish ???
My Mb was used as a farm jeep and shows lots of farm wera n tear.
However, After a good dose of Olive Drab the MB was a real eye catcher when
I drove into town

Next, the wife sees this Surry Jeep at a new jeep buddy's house.
We went to a meeting of our local MVPA chapter. & "Wifey was smitten"
(She's a Home Economics High School Teacher.)

We knew the couple that had the Surry Jeep just did not know that had it for
sale.
About our DJ3A
It was off the road for 28 years until this summer
During that time there were 4 owners.
Everyone seemed to do a little more but nobody completed it.
The floor was gone too far so some enthusiastic previous owner repaired the
tub and placed it onto a 1/8th sheet of steel.
Then, they formed the hump - welded - then ground the hump to look original.
No need fot the rust retaining hat channels any more
This Jeep is now really solid
They also put on modern rims and fatter tires.
The vehicle is painted in bright blue
The seats are 1" striped blue and white.

They installed a roll bar.
The did Not put the Surry top on unfortunately . . .I may do that later.
They installed a 1/2 top - black vinyl top that ties over the roll bar.
It does have the Threaded fender holes for the footman loops right in the
top center of the fenders.
Now another previous owner took out the dead front axles and made it 4 wheel
drive.
However, another smarter more learned Willys fan told me that the 4x4 could
be ordered from new?

My additions were;
I immediately put in a brand spanking rebuilt flathead 4cyl., before we
drove it
We now have 500+ miles on the engine which runs really, really sweet.
The following week I put in an Warn Overdrive.
I rifled through my clutches and found the best of a reasonable bunch.
Also, Removed the Columm shifted tranny for a top shifted T-90 when we put
in the OD
Five gear shifters are far out
People often ask what are they "all" for ?
My wife wanted this Jeep for her summer fun machine.
FINALLY, Shes become a Willys fan.
Am I lucky or what ????

A Problem Arises:
Unfortunately, somebody took out the 5:38 final drives and put in a pair of
4:11's
Really great for high speed but... the Lil' flatheads are just at the crest
of running out of steam with this gearing.
Add to that, the slightly bigger tires .
So, you might think, even more top speed available ...eh ?
But, not so !
Now for my big lesson,
Next, I added the ODrive. . . However, I am really out of steam to
properly enjoy the Odrive feature.
On a flat road This jeep will slowly wind up nicely.
Come upon a slight "hill" or "headwind" and this is where the lil' flathead
runs out of steam at 60HP
I think that the overhead valve engine developed another 15HP approx., and
that would probably make all the difference here.

Now we develop another problem, & this becomes a little touchy.
She (wifey) drives a Toyota Tercel four on the floor standard shift every
day.
Wifey, now get's annoyed at the T-90
Wifey, hates the Jeeps shifters and clunkiness of the T-90's 22 inch long
shifter !
She has compared the Jeep's tranny to the Tercel's 5 inch smooth short
swift shifter.

Now hate me if you will but my next move is to put in a Toyota Celica with
Automatic tranny.
Then she will be happy
The Celica was really very fast car. It's gone ...but, I kept the engine
and tranny
Being a 4 cyl it will fit perfectly and overall the jeep is a little less
weight too !
The Celica developed, from memory, either 95 or 110 HP.
Twice that of the Lil' flathead.
So I will remove the fron drive shaft.
Make an adapter to run the Celica trannny output into the Jeeps rear end
drive shaft.

Our Surry jeeps still looks great even without the Surry top.
The front and rear stripe seats covers look real nice.

I will send link to some pictures jeep and the subsequent engine swap of
the engine swap.

Regards
Rob Pearson
Upstate NY