M-1-4 question

From: Doug Klink (dklink@kc.rr.com)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 06:18:08 PST

Our M-1-4 is not running well. Engine was rebuilt, has good compression on
all 6 cylinders. Carb, Carter BB1, is rebuilt.

Problem is it runs OK at idle but has no power. Can't pull itself up a
hill. Disconnecting cylinders 1 and 6 has almost no change to RPM at idle
but disconnecting 3 or 4 almost kills the engine. There is spark at the
plugs on 1 and 6 when disconnected.

Truck was modified to downdraft carb before we owned and we haven't
converted it back yet.

Distributor was in the truck when we got it (ex CA Hwy dept). Has no vacuum
advance. Plug wires are all new, made as part of wiring kit we got. Solid
core wires. Coil is new.

Ideas?