Re: [MV] Hooking up a generator

From: ET Lance-Gómez (etlance@execpc.com)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 18:07:35 PST

I have followed this thread with interest, hoping someone else would raise an issue. I don't like to because this is not directly related
to the private ownership of military vehicles (oh, those pesky list rules).

Here goes: My information source (commercial and industrial electrician) warns that turning off the main breaker and backfeeding 220-240V
is not absolutely safe to anyone working on the exterior lines. This is because of backfeed thru the neutral. Many homes when wired did
not maintain total separation of the neutral and ground. Hence, crossfeed of voltage can go out to the neutral. Additionally, not all
neutrals terminate at the meter, some go back out to the main line. Both of these can cause current to leak from the house to the lines.
The only fortunate part is that usually not all the current available can flow this way and a lower shock is delivered if some poor lineman
becomes the connection to ground.

Therefore, to be absolutely safe, you must not only pull the main breaker, but you must also disconnect your neutral.

Sorry to resurrect this thread as it seems to have died, but I was traveling and couldn't let this go unknown.

Flame me direct or on list if needed.
TED
PS: not directed at you John, it was just easy to use a reply to your msg as reference.