Re: [MV] NOT Hooking up a generator

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 11:32:27 PST

I have to get serious about all of this. You'd be
amazed at what I've torn out of houses and businesses
that were supposed to have been "inspected". It
scares me!! Its very much like dis-arming a bomb,
there's no way to tell what they've done.

Don't think the big corporations are any better, I've
seen Eastman-Kodak's, Bausch & Lomb's, Xerox's
electrical work. Worked for them for YEARS!!! They
have some of the best people working for them and they
do some impressive work, but they still have some
people who just don't understand what they're doing.

The scariest of all was what I tore out of the
National Fuel Gas compressor station!! I personally
chewed the Engineer's and the head maintenance
electrician's(union, too) butts for not understanding
why they lost the control circuits on a fan system
when the emergency generator came on. This after
driving almost 2 hours to do a service call on the
same system 6 months after I'd explained the problem
to them,....... they didn't believe me, they didn't
understand what I was talking about.

Um,.... they got it now.

No, I don't know everything about it,........ but YOU
guys aren't prepared to argue with me.

Tom (INDUSTELE), what they did was to put two 120 volt
breakers into a 240 volt delta panel with no neutral
in it, the generator had no neutral coming from it,
the commercial power was center tapped and grounded at
the pole, the neutral wasn't brought into the building
so it "worked" on commercial and died on gen power.
240 volts acrossed the two loads allowed them to
"kinda work" (or not).

You guys go ahead and do whatever you think you can
get away with.

Joe