CCKW...electrics,winch direction etc

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 18:26:36 PST

Greetings,
                Am on to the electrics with the resto.

The original harnesses were long gone, and i have decided to make
new harnessess. After some deliberation, they will NOT be replicas from
the manual.

 I have made them to reflect 'modern' wiring colors, and
cause my truck has non-original additions, which would be neccesary to use
under current roadworthy regs anyway.

Mine had: Turn indicators and electric wipers, non-orinal wiring and
switches

I added: Fusesbox, compliant rear tailight/stop/turn,new harness
           12V, pedal actuated 12V stoplights

I have restored and will keep the 6V regulator electrics..it will be
fitted in place, but not in use, as I will fit 12V alternator.

Have acquired 6V rear BO lights and original light switch.
The switch is all wired, but different to original.

Eveything works tho!

have not yet decided what is the best way to power the 6 volt stuff,
as i am running 12v...the low power stuff, i run off a low current
resistor fed tap from the 12v battery, but the combo 6v stop/tail
draws around 3amps so resistors are not ideal, relays would be better,
however i must consider the 6v BO driving and BO front marker lites
in my design process....I think i can run a 12v globe in the BO drive
light, but i dont have the BO marker lites yet, and it seems they
are hard to get...I was quoted $70A ($35US) EACH!..Does that sound right?
(that is in Oz)....at any rate if i have to use 6v lights which draw
significant current, I will probly run a small 6v battery and solar
charge it, just for the 6v lights.

I did repair the fuel TANK SENDER as well. I have found this to be
an in demand skill for antique vehicles....it involves electrical
microsurgery and soldering to re-attach broken tiny gauge copper
wire windings and clean and repair broken contacts..the GMC one
was a tiny machine all on its own, but i have come to expect that
..it was a test of my abilities, as it was basically rooted...took
a few hours to r&r&r it, seems they are also hard to obtain?

While i think of it, several things seem almost unobtainable here,
Can they be purchased in the USA.????

Soft cab 'door handles'..2 each on cab side panels (6&3 o,clock)

BO marker lites (same as Jeep but to dear in Oz)

Soft top canvas 'roof' piece from front to rear of cab
( no pattern available..Oz army had one piece top/back)

tank sender unit....(mine was so bad, repairs may not last)

WINCH ROTATION...mine appears to rotate in the opposite direction
to original...ie if u stand directly in front of winch, the drum
rotates from front to rear to drag cable IN...this is hard to e
explain in words..my winch has been heavily modified, and cable
runs OVER THE TOP, not under...this is a problem cause the original
winch bar has a large cutout underneath which serves as a fair-lead.

So, just rewind cable and feed underneath u say!

BUT THEN u have 2 speeds out and 1 in...u do trust me.

I have only one explanation...the PO (Transfield) have
REVERSED the winch rotation direction with gears..somehow?
its got me stuffed anyway..if anyone has heard of this i
would be obliged to know.

I did speak to a forestry worker recently and he re-affirmed
what i had been previously told..Yes, Transfield/EPT had used
these trucks to build the massive HV transformer towers
Yes, their primary job was to winch the equipment up into the worst
places, the tower would be built on the ground, staked and roped,
then winched slowly upright..total weight 30 tons

apparently Jimmys were the only truck that could get up the slopes.
The forestor told me he has an inclinometer in his Landcruiser and
would not attempt slopes over 30*, which he said was terrifying,
but that some of the towers 'were much steeper than that"
He also recalled in the 50's one time an enormous ex army vehicle came
and recovered a broken dozer..he said it had 3 joey(gear) boxes,
and tyre chains on huge wheels, amd massive rear winches.
Sounds like a Dragon-wagon?..he did not think it was a Diamond T.

                                        regards tony