Re: [MV] M35A2 Brake problems ( STILL )

From: Robert Barber (rbarber41@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 12:29:59 PST

  Ronzo

   Without looking at the physical parts you have I am only
speculating and offering suggestions based on prior experience.
Read having to fight with things also in my past...

I'm going to get real basic here not to offend but to maybe
catch a oh shiter ..In most vehicles there is a difference
between the leading and trailing brake shoe.. More so there
is a difference between the front and rear sets of shoes since
typically 70 % of the breaking stop power in performed by the
fronts.

If any of the wheels have the original brakes still installed
check the width and length size of the shoe. Check the pad size
in relation to the shoe.. It may be as simple as you have the
front shoes on the rear end or the shoes reversed on the backing
plate (leading vs trailing reversed).

Originals vs replacements.. You also may be onto something here
Many refurbish / aftermarket vendors will put extra thickness to
their pads in order to compensate for the drum (rotor) being
turned to a larger diameter (drum) or reduced thickness (rotor),
which is standard procedure for a brake job..

There used to be a fellow from Hudson Mass who had a mobile
brake shop in a van truck.. Back in the race car days we would
call him to come out to the shop. He would measure the exact
diameter of the drum and then cam grind the shoes to fit that
diameter of that brake drum. That way we could back the shoe
off for zero drag but it gave max contact when applied..

So if you don't find a lead to trail or front to rear problem,
you may want to call around to the local brake shops and
see if one will match grind your shoes to the diameter of
each brake drum..

If that doesn't cure it, If I remember right you have replaced
the wheel cylinders.. If so hopefully you have bleed the system
yet.. Pull a piston from the replacement cylinders and compare
them to ones that you took off. If their bigger / longer well
thats self explainitory on why the shoes don't retract all the
way as before.. It would not be the first time I've seen after-
market shoes or cylinders be different from the originals in that
some vendors will sell parts as fits all when they really don't
unless you custom fit em ..

  Let us know how it turns out ...

                                     BB