Re: [MV] Beltring?

From: Geoff Winnington-Ball (gwball@sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 15:55:34 PST

Bill.... :-)

wwd@netheaven.com wrote:

> In <list-1358435@skylee.com>, on 11/08/01
> at 08:17 AM, "Tim" <tcb@hasher.demon.co.uk> said:
>
> Beltring: Am I safe in assuming that this site/event is in the UK? Sounds
> just like 'Heartland, USA' what with all the kiddies ripping up the turf
> ATV style, but I'm sure progress has been spread even to the old country.
>
> Could we assign locales to events or storage locations?: "I've got a 24
> ton tractor for sale. It's right here off main street so come take a
> look."

The event at Beltring has been discussed here each spring, every year...
it is the world's largest military vehicle show, this last year hosting
3,500 privately owned MVs over a period of five days. The actual site is
at the Hop Farm in Kent, which is southeast of London.

We in North America know nothing like it. An amazing experience. I've
been the Canadian Class judge there the last two years' running, as well
as covering it for MLU. The vast quantities of vehicles and equipment
from everywhere and every era are amazing in themselves, but the PEOPLE
are what make this show something truly special (at least for a damned
colonial). Highly recommended, despite some of the valid misgivings you
might hear from time to time.

> Like: Weare/NH or Daytona/FL. So is it Beltring/Yk if perhaps it is in
> Yorkshire? Would help make us all more globally aware.
>
> >>It is the children that are allowed to go careering around the site --
>
> With each one carrying their resume and a small portfolio of their recent work.

Hehehehe... check THIS out:

"ca·reer (k-rîr)
 n.
   1.
       a.A chosen pursuit; a profession or occupation.
       b.The general course or progression of one's working life or
one's professional achievements: an officer with a distinguished career;
a teacher in the midst of a long career.
   2.A path or course, as of the sun through the heavens.
   3.Speed: “My hasting days fly on with full career” (John Milton).

 adj.
     Doing what one does as a permanent occupation or lifework: career
diplomats; a career criminal.

 intr.v. ca·reered, ca·reer·ing, ca·reers

     To move or run at full speed; rush. See Usage Note at <careen>.

 [French carrière, from Old French, racecourse, from Old Provençal
carriera, street, from Medieval Latin (via) carrria, (road) for carts,
feminine of carrius, from Latin carrus, a Gallic type of wagon. See
kers- in Indo-European Roots.]"

So the use of the word "careering", while not in normal use in North
America, is actually correct English. I applaud you for picking that up,
though, and your come-back was highly amusing!

Cheers,

Geoff

--
Regards,

Geoff Winnington-Ball MAPLE LEAF UP! ==> Zephyr, Ontario, Canada ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Maple Leaf Up - The Canadian Army Overseas in WW2 http://www.mapleleafup.org <sunray@mapleleafup.org> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment http://www.1cacr.org <info@1cacr.org> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~