Re: [MV] M45 vs M35?

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 09:04:30 PST

In a message dated 11/10/01 9:07:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
kstrain@earthlink.net writes:

<< I am about to convert a M35A2, 9:00X 20
 (ten) to 11:00X20's (six). Do you have any comments regarding off road
 capability, turning ease, technique on the conversion, etc?
 Thanks for any help that you can give me and the list. >>

Way back when (1949) the single 11:00 x 20 version was considered the primary
version. The hubs are reversed, and the studs driven in from the other side.
While you have all this apart, of course you'll replace the oil seals, but
I'd also check the bearings and brakes. This is dirty and labor intensive
work.
The original premise was that the single tires running in a single track
provided easier going in mud, and test results backed this up. The dual
wheel version was envisioned as spending more of its life on the road than
its single wheel counterpart....somehow all these lessons and plans were
forgotten for about forty years, when apparently it was surprisingly
rediscovered, and once again 6x6's were shod with single tires, larger than
their dual wheel counterparts.
Back when, the bed of the truck was also different, with wheel wells allowing
a lower deck height and still allowing clearance for 11:00x20's.
The steel wheels are also different on the single wheel versions, having a
different offset. 11:00x20's should give you a few (very few) more mph.
Recent article in MV extolled virtues of single wheels with respect to the
center of gravity...but I don't remember if he changed wheel offset or not.
Of late the military has done some similar conversions (I am not talking
about the M35A3 with super singles)...these seem to have started in the NE
US...I have only seen one here in the Memphis area in military service.
With less rubber on the ground to scuff in turns, it would seem that it would
turn easier, but I doubt it is noticable.
One of my trucks has the 11:00x20 style rims (with 9:00 x 20 tires mounted)
on the front axle, axle the normal 9:00 x 20 setup on the rear. I don't
notice any difference in the driving.
Hope this helps,
David