Multifuel compressor pulley slipping

From: Mark J. Blair (mblair1@home.net)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 15:44:30 PST

Hi, folks. The air compressor pulley on one of my M109A3 2.5-ton shop
vans keeps loosening up, even though I tighten the two clamping bolts
about as far as I dare without stripping them.

In case you're not familiar with these compressors, their pulleys are
made from two cone-shaped halves, and the belt tension is adjusted by
turning one half with respect to the other, thus changing the
effective diameter of the pulley. There is a pair of bolts which clamp
the front half in place with respect to the back half, but my pulley
keeps slipping out of adjustment despite those two bolts. Just driving
a few miles allows the pulley to slip enough that the truck can no
longer build air pressure. I've tried removing the two bolts, cleaning
them, replacing the lockwashers, and applying some anti-sieze to
prevent them from binding up before I've tightened them fully.

Before I start tearing everything apart, does this symptom sound
familiar to anybody?

Thanks in advance!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/