M35A2 front axle boot

From: Amnon Nissan (amnon@deltaforce.net)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 12:17:03 PST

Well, I need some more expert advice.

After replacing the front axle seal and boot, drove the truck close to 400
miles with no problems, no more leaks. Until yesterday. The only thing I
can think of that I did out of the ordinary is I put it into low, front
wheel drive, in order to back up the trailer I got up a steep bank. When I
was done I took a look at the inside of the wheel again, and there is grease
all over the tire and rim. Feeling the boot on the outside, it seems to
have a tear at the very top and a tear at the very bottom. When we put the
seals back we packed the opening between the two bearings with 2 pounds of
grease (half of a 4 pound container), according to the TM.

I read here before a message from someone about placing the screw at the top
or the bottom. I can't remember where it ended up at to tell you the truth,
I didn't think about it till right now and I don't want to go out and get
all greasy again :-)

Any ideas what I could have done wrong? The boot was a new boot, from
Memphis Equip.

Shalom Ya'll
Amnon Nissan

Deltaforce