Re: [MV] Federal Bill 602P

From: islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 16:44:06 PST

Tom,

I'm 99.9999% sure this is total bunk. Seen this sort of Urban Legand
about 100 times over the last 10 years. A couple of years ago it even
got so bad that the news media covered it. Upshot is that the US and
State governments has no authority, zero, to regulate email. Yes, it
could pass a tax on ISP fees, but per email? Technically this might be
possible, but practically speaking isn't. The tip off that this is yet
another fake is:

"Federal Bill 602P"

As far as I am aware of, there is no such thing as a "Federal Bill".
There is either a House or Senate Bill, each of which is clearly labled
as such and has like "S602" or "HR602". If anybody can produce a copy of
this alledged Bill, then I will gladly print out this email and eat it.
Without salt :-)

Steve