M series tank engine info

From: Greg Summerton (gregs@bold.net.au)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 05:25:31 PST

Guys,
Last weekend I purchased a radial tank engine for several cases of beer.
(Couldn't see it go to the tip!)
It was reportedly a British Alvis motor from a General Stewart.
But on investigation it was found to have UNF threads, not BSF.

The big carb finally yielded tonight and was withdrawn from the mire of
dried mud/grease/oil/dirt/dust/twigs/variousdeadanimals etc etc.

It is a Stromberg and on the label it is listed for a W-670-9.
A trip on the net shows this to be a Continental engine. 7 cylinder, 250Hp
and 668 cu. in (11Lt).

It is complete with clutch, carb, all heads, fan, shrouds and is fairly
easy to dissassemble due to it's embalming grease/mud pack. Fins are all
complete, no bad damage anywhere, apart from a pair of broken rocker
covers. (top)

Missing:- the rearward casting with starter, magnetos, generator?, oil
pump?

I am after info, manuals, pics, parts etc, etc.
Can anyone help?

I am particularly "scared" of removing the BIG clutch. I reckon if I get
the sequence wrong I will be chasing parts that might spring around the
workshop for hours, to say nothing of stripped threads...and blood....
Any clues?

I am also very interested to find out which tank it might be from. Info on
the net suggest that it might be a General Lee or Grant, as sone 757 of
these were shipped new to Australia (where I am) by December 1942 to assist
us in our fight with the Japs.

Some of these tanks were still in service till 1957 when they were finally
retired, not bad for a tank that was listed "obsolete" in 1945!

Many were used after the war for land clearing and earthmoving. I have
located two (don't know which types yet) in an earthmover's yard some 8-9
hours from here.
Lots of work to do.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks,